Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Our Garden


We started a garden late April. It was fun to set it up, plant it, water it, and watch it grow. There is so much more to gardening than just watering it. There is pruning, fertilizing, some plants need more water that others, some need more sun than others, not all need the same kind of soil etc. Not everything that we planted actually grew. In other words we learned a lot and we have much more to learn. The first thing that we harvest were the radishes. They were huge! See the size of them as compare to the fork in the picture above.

We were not big fans of radishes but there is something different about them when we grew them ourselves from seed, cared for them, anticipated the time of harvest and then used them in our cooking. That something is that they do taste better, they are special. I went out of my way to find recipies of salads to use our radishes. We also simply ate some of them just plain like if they were apples and yes, we were so exited about finding different ways to use them that we even put radishes in Amor's recipe of Spicy Fryed Potatoes (I think we like the spicy potatoes without the radishes better). Our atitude and taste have changed about radishes. We have developed a taste for them. I think we are now set to like radishes from now on, the rest of our lives.

2 comments:

Piegirl said...

congratulations on your first harvest!

Amoret said...

Thank you. We have so much to learn about gardening(including spiritual lessons). I am not a green thumb at all, but I think I am intereted in becoming one. When I was teaching I did not have the time and the energies to get into gardenting. But here I am able to take the time. We are also havesting lots of beets now. We still have a lot, more than we can eat. We want to give some to friends but most people we asked don't know what to do with beets. We don't eaither. We found ourselves having to find a recipe here and there to find a differnt way to cook them.